Monday, December 8, 2014

There and Back Again...Paul's Tale

What is a dying missionary supposed to say in his last email home? Hmm.... 
I think i'll prepare for watching SportsCenter! Here is some Top 10 things of my mission. 

10 Things I won't miss.

10. Comp Study
9. Dealing with Crazy People. SOO many crazies.
8. Waking up at 6:30 
7. Going to bed at 10:30
6. Not being able to talk to a girl. 
5. Daily Planning
4. Weekly Planning.
3. Giving Marriage Advice. Seriously
2. The Humidity 
1. Being stuck with another Dude 24/7

10 Things I will Miss

10. Brisket. Brisket. Brisket.
9. The Members. Especially their food.
8. Getting Letters. I love mail. 
7. The Stars at night. (They are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas)
6. Being a celebrity at church. (Totally selfish. I love when the kids come up to me to say Hi. )
5. Watching people come to church for the first time and feel the spirit. 
4. Having kids draw pictures for me. I usually end up with a big head. Literally. 
3. Praying with people for the first time. 
2. Being in tune to the spirit and receiving promptings more then ever before.
1. Watching miracles happen. 

10 Favorite Experiences.

10. Trailer fire and saving the dudes truck. 
9. The Steggell card throw.
8. Lickafier. Lake of Fire with Elder Low.
7. Working on a Light house.
6. Teaching Megan. Love that girl.
5. Working with Jose and all the lessons during Spurs games. 
4. Knocking on the Fry's door. 
3. Teaching the Magana's.
2. Lecturing in a Catholic Theology Class.
1. Going through the Temple with Savon kamakanamakemaeokalohapau'ole Moniz

10 Things I'm most excited for. 

10. SportsCenter. 
9. Sleeping in.
8 My Viola!
7. Being able to read a different book for a little bit. 
6. Jeans I can't wait to wear jeans. Oh. and Tshirts.
5. I can sorta grow a beard. I got 2 weeks to try and grow one before BYU I. 
4. Costa Vida. Mexican food is the bomb. But man I am ready for Costa. 
3. Not to deal with Crazy people. 
2. To see my family. 
1. Listening to real people music. 

(The last two were a toss up.)

10 Things I wish I woulda known before the mission...

10.  2nds aren't great when you get them every meal. #Gained30pounds.
9. Working out in the morning is hard work. #lost25pounds
8. It's going to be a TON harder then I thought. 
7. Patience with yourself is the most important thing you can have. 
6. Obedience is there to change you.
5. The mission isn't about you at all. It's about you giving your all.
4. People aren't perfect.. and don't get frustrated when they aren't. 
3. Always make your companion your best friend.
2. 2 years is a really long time. but goes by really fast for some reason. 
1. Going home is going to be the greatest thing and going to break your heart at the same time. 

So there ya go. It's hard to say goodbye. I feel like I'm leaving home to go home. Worst feeling ever. I probably shoulda had yall come pick me up but I probably woulda just tried to convince you to stay and when you wouldn't I woulda thrown a tantrum like I was 5 years old. 
I absolutely love my mission. It means everything to me. I wouldn't trade it for the entire wealth of China. That's alot. 
I love the Book of Mormon. It's so true. I have no doubt. I can't wait to read it again and again and find new things in it. I got close to finishing it 7 times. I did read it 5 times and then started and got through to Alma twice. War chapters are a tough one for me. Joseph Smith really did a great work. I am so grateful for the Book of Mormon. 
Joseph Smith. Where do you start with the greatest man that was ever born in America? Better than George Washington, Martin Luther King Jr. , or Jackie Robinson. He changed more then all of them combined. His work was great, and he died great. I praise the man. 
It's because of Joseph Smith that I can know more about Jesus Christ. That's why Christ called him. Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world. We would forever be lost without him. I understand now why the phrase "Rely on the Redeemer" or phrases like it are in the scriptures. It is only when we can lean on him and strive to be like him that we can become who we were meant to be. 
I learned more then I probably know. (That sounds a little weird.) I love the work. I love the Lord. I love yall.
Remember who you are and what He stands for. 

Elder Paul Robert Funk

No comments:

Post a Comment