Monday, July 15, 2013

Triple Header at the Golden Corral

Yeah it hasn't been the best week of my mission. I am still having fun but it was one of those weeks where if something could possible go wrong it would and did. haha. Well it started off on Monday just after Pday. We went to the mall but all of us just felt like apostate there. It was bizarre! Like it was so worldly there that it was no fun. So we were driving back and I felt like I should tell Elder Hughes to put on his seat belt, but ignored the prompting because I didn't want to be overbearing. So we went down the road and yep sure enough, we got pulled over! The cop walked up to my window and asked for my license, I wasn't even driving, and didn't even say anything except you are getting a ticket for not wearing a seat belt. I said.. Well officer, I really was. He said. No you weren't. Once again I said.. No... I really was. He wrote the ticket anyway. So now I get to go fight that eventually. It was more annoying then anything. So that made me mad. We knocked some doors taught a lesson and went to bed. Oh but I forgot I was feeling really down.. So I went and got a red bull. It does help out. Probably not the best way to deal with things.. but yeah. I told the District Leader I was drinking my problems away.. He didn't appreciate that as much as I did..

Tuesday Elder Hughes got sick so we just sat inside all day.. I don't like to be in the apartment. So that was sorta a long day. I got some reading and stuff done though so that was good. I also think I am just gonna be a window washer when I get back home. I don't know. Sounds fun. I think I might go down here for the summer and sell some pest control. Those people make bank.

Wednesday was pretty awful too... We went to help move some furniture back for the tile that we laid last week. and lone behold someone decided it would be a good idea to throw a motor into a couch. So boom. There went my back. I couldn't hardly lift anything for like 3 days. It was awful. We got to go to Zone Meeting that day and we got some good training from the zls. They are way cool guys I like them alot. They talked about talking to people and also about finding success. It was fun. We tried to apply alot of the stuff. People's agency is just the killer now. haha. Oh this was also the first night part of a three part series that we went to Good ol' Golden Corral. The baptist people that we were teaching kinda stopped talking to us too.. It was one of the those days you put on a smile and bear it. :)

Thursday was ok. We knocked and stuff and didn't really find anyone that was overly golden but a people were generally nice. One of the craziest things has been that everyone wants to know the deep answers to everything and it is so hard to say the things that are simply profound without being over the top. It's a trick. Oh side note. So Golden Corral opened up for the breakfast hours and I guess members enjoy taking missionaries to breakfast here. So yep back to back corralin'. K back on track. So we had a lesson with this Part Member family that the wife is not a member and man does she have questions. She knows alot about the church and agrees with alot of doctrines but when it comes to polygamy she has a hard time with it. She is an ex J-dubb and so that has been making the transition pretty hard on her too. We discussed all the way out to the curb on our way home with her. It's tricky.

Friday we got a call to go help out with a baptism of an 8 year old girl, it was so nice of them to invite us. So later we went and saw a member so that we could go see one of his friends. The member is like 90 and a war vet and so we were walking down the street with him and he started taking us all over telling us of the history of just about everyone that used to live here, has ever lived here, and possible any one with the chance of coming here. It was interesting. We knocked on some doors with him, that was interesting. No one was real interested, but they were super nice to us because we had him with us. When we went to dinner we had a member pick us up and I guess last time we went to a lesson we went like 10 minutes early, we didn't go in, but I wanted to go early to prep him so that he could have the right timing and stuff. Well he told me off that we should always be right on time or late. Yeah. Some people. I don't even know. All I know is that people all have an opinion, and that's great.. Just to bad it isn't the right one;)

Saturday was the baptism of the little girl. It was neat and I got to play some hymns on my viola, so that was a pleasant break from the routine. They are all super great people. It was the first time that I had really smiled that week. There was a little girl that stood up and sang if the savior stood beside me. She had some physical handicaps and reminded me of a little girl in the orchestra class back home. It is so funny how such a little thing can completely make your heart melt. It was so nice to know that no matter what you are going through, no matter what ailments, difficulties or trials that we may be enduring at the time, that there is always the savior standing beside me. I think he would be proud of me most days. Even if it is only a fake smile, an attempt to do my best. The effort that we put forth whenever we are sharing the gospel is magnified when we realize the One standing beside us. Just like a sheep alone could never fight off a ravening wolf The Shepard must protect it and us too. He wouldn't leave me alone. But sometimes I feel like a just fall face first in the mud. I'm pretty sure everyone in heaven flips on my life sometimes on the Heavenly TV and just laughs. Like oh shoot.. Did he really just say that?? Re-runs are gonna be great. haha.

Sunday was ok. We didn't have really anything crazy. No one came to church. I made really good friends with a kid though. He came home early from his mission, so I want him to feel comfortable and everything and it is working. We hit it off great. I think I will probably go see him this week sometime. Oh and I got a flat tire. Yep. Just to kinda finish off the week.

Well... I really do know that this is the work of a Heavenly Father that loves all of his children. I love that we are so blessed to be able to have that knowledge that he lives! I love the Testimony that Joesph Smith gives. When he says "This is the Testimony last of all that we give of him, That He Lives!" Teaching a lesson this week we were teaching this 17 year old girl and she was asking us a ton of questions about the church and what we do as missionaries. And so as we began to teach her she turned and said the hardest question I have heard on my mission. "Who is Jesus Christ?" I was so dumb struck. That was the most deeply profound question. It struck my heart so powerfully. All day it seems we battle these deep conversations trying to convince people that they are so close to the truth and that they really just need to go a little farther to find the truth. When all the point is, Is "Who is Jesus Christ?" I testify that He is the Son of God, the Holy one of Isreal, The Prince of Peace, and The author of My Salvation. So many different roles to fill but filled so perfectly. None more important then the other, as all are necessary to get through this life. I would invite you to find the answer. Who Is Jesus Christ. What does he need to be for you this week. I give my witness that he lives. In his holy name, Amen.

Remember who you are and what He stands for!
Elder Paul Robert Funk

No comments:

Post a Comment