Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Hoisting Windows and Wrestlemania

 June 10, 2013

So we found a family this week! It was amazing last P Day we were out doing some errands, washing the truch specifically, and we drove to HEB (basically like Walmarts' wife. The better half.) And we had to do our shopping but I was like.. Eh.. Let's just go to walmart so off we went and drove across town and went there. On our way out we were going past the entrance and this lady stopped us and said "Just the guys I was looking for!" She told us about how she wanted us to come and teach her family about the gospel and how she had had a discussion with her Fiance and kids and wanted us to come over. So of course we said yes and that was that! So then we went over there on Tuesday and they were AWESOME! The wife is a less active member from Housten and two of the 4 kids are members so now we just have to complete the family. It's sad that I have to leave before it all comes to pass but I am glad Elder Low will get to have the experience.

The dad when we began to teach him was a little hesitant at first. He was drilling us left and right with questions and it was like D day missionary style. We got owned. So we left and his question was burning in me. "What is different about your church?" We of course had explained that it was the same as Jesus Christ, Authority, Book of Mormon, the whole gospel. I mean just nothing would satisfy him. So we left and I prayerfully had considered this throughout the next day. We went back to teach him the next day and I still did not have the answer. So we sat down and we started talking. And I had a thought come. I said "Daniel. I think what the is different about our church is that we are the only Living Church on the entire earth." He went "Yep! That's it!" and was So open to that. We set a baptisimal date for the 6th of July and that was that!

We also kinda sorta had scripture study class this week. We showed up and a member had brought her friend to talk to us. So we sat down and for 45 minutes she told us how she had been abused, how she had been taken advantage of. Just 45 minutes of therapy. It was neat though because I had no idea what to say and said "Heavenly Father you know I know nothing. Help me out please!" And I flipped open to Alma 34 and read some of the verses telling her to Cry unto the lord for your fields, and just everything about your life. It was awesome! She was in tears. She told us that we had just saved her life that before she came she had decided to OD and that it was all ready to be done. But that she was uplifted and wasn't going to do that. It was incredible.

We went and worked on the lighthouse a couple of times this week and so that was fun. We went and helped clean shop for a while in preparation for the windows that were going to come  and then we also went on Saturday to help put some windows up. Now. Brother Dobsky is a sailor. So he decided that he was going to hoist up all of the windows with ropes. In a Wind storm. It was ridiculous. But we decided to do it none the less.
Man that was a trick. So he Jerry rigged a whole bunch of his "Hallyards" (Sailing ropes) to some of the sailing mecanisms and told us to go for it. So for two and half hours we hauled up like 7 windows and a door to the top. It was nuts. Elder Scott and I had to pull all of them up and the same time. It was just a miracle that they didn't all fall down on us!

So PEC was once again.. PEC. I thought maybe they would throw a special party or something for me but not really haha. We showed up and had our usual 5 minutes and I told them about the family and they shot it down again. It was stupid. So I had told this family to be to church a half hour before hand and so lone behold when we walked out, there is the family. Man it made me feel good. They didn't really have alot to say about that. I think God has my back alot of the time. It was great we also had 3 more Less actives come to church which was awesome!! So in totally it was like 9 people at church because of some of our efforts. It was great.

I really am going to miss this area. I have fallen in love with all of the people, however hard headed they may be;) They are the best people on planet earth. It was such a priviledge to get to know them and I hope that I can get back here before the end of my mission. When I left President Smith, who hasn't really talked to me in a couple of weeks after the incident at PEC grabbed me and said "Well good luck Elder, Work Hard, I know that you will, Sorry if you don't feel like we gave you enough support. You'll find that throughout the church but your a great Elder thanks for serving" We gave each other a big hug and that was that.

Also. Man this is scatter brained. Tell Uncle Preston thanks for letting us play the wrestling game at his house when we were kids. I taught prayer using Enos "The Rock" and "Stone Cold Steve Austin." yeah.... Sometimes I just make stuff up on the fly. But don't worry it wasn't like an "Ping Pong talk" Mom. It was spiritual and awesome.

Yeah mission work is hard but Elder Low and I have been doing really well.. It was crazy he came up to me last night and said "ya know.. When I get married you have to come because I am going to show you to my wife and say. 'this is the reason that I am the way that I am' " yeah talk about tear fest. I love my son. Even though we didn't always see eye to eye. We love each other. He is an awesome Elder. He told me the other day he was sitting in Sacrament and a voice came and said to him "Your going to be an AP." So guess I trained an AP! It's cool. I do nitpick but I think in the long run we both came out for the best.

Keep hanging in there. I don't know how hard it is, but I do know that it is worth it. It is always worth it. "Doubt not, Fear Not." as the Lord commands. It will always be alright in the end and if it is not alright then it is not the end!

Remember who you are and what He stands for!
Elder Funk

No comments:

Post a Comment