Monday, May 6, 2013

Getting Roasted

So this week in the life of Elder Funk..

It was crazy. We did teach 6 first lessons to people and go return appointments with all of them. So that was really exciting! It was really nice. We got teach a man named F and found out that he has a 10 year old daughter in Utah that is pushing him to make the change because she is a member. I think that he will be able to change it is really just a matter of time with him. So that will be nice! We are really so blessed to have another person to start working with. We just have to keep praying that he will read and pray and do the things that he needs to do to progress in the gospel!

A. F. is Cancer Free!! So the symptoms are still all there but they figured it out and now she just has to go in and do a one day procedure and it will all be solved they think! It really is a miracle but I have no doubt it is because she put the Lord first and decided to baptized. It really is the truth. There is no other explanation to it. She was healed based on her faith that whatever happened would be ok if she was just baptized and is trying to remain faithful for the rest of her life!

So in all honesty.. The rest of the week was pretty dumb. We started out on Monday going to have FHE with a family and they have been having some problems.. The wife has starting drinking and stuff so that has caused stress. Anyway we went over there and it was so bad.. The lesson tanked. We left feeling awful because the kids were wild and the parents argued with each other... Great preface for the week!

So we had our scripture study class and I told the 7 people that came that I had a goal to baptize every one that I see. Meaning every single person in Fredericksberg. I don't doubt at all that one day that will happen. It's all just a matter of time. So when I said that most of the people in there thought it was great and they believed it to. Then our Branch Mission Leader says "No, that could never happen, people all have their agency and they won't choose to be baptized. I wish I could have the faith but I know it won't happen." That was comforting coming from the person we are supposed to be working with... So anyway I blew it off but we went out in the hall and he starts talking to one of the other members and says "Yeah if Elder Funk has his way there will be no fuel for the fire at the second coming! We have to have fuel don't we Elder!" It was so rude... They both just laughed at me.. So that got me down alot. They are just so blind! They can't see the potential that all the people have around them. So that was Wednesday and it just didn't get a whole lot better then that.

So we got a referral from some other missionaries and someone they were teaching which was sweet! So I called the guy up and talked to him for like a half hour on the phone and he just wouldn't let up. He talked about aliens and the Book of Mormon and how he was a Satan worshiper and if he converted the Army of God would never accept him. It was A LONG conversation. So I invited him to be baptized on the phone and he paused and thought about it... And he is still thinking about it. He won't let us go over to his house for some reason because he doesn't want us to see him.. We will see what happens there.

So then the next day we went to a different City and were working which was really nice but we didn't find anyone willing to drive 15 miles to check out the church, which was to bad.. So we went back to Fredericksberg and for 3 hours no one talked to us. It was pretty frustrating, I just wish they would at least give us 1 minute sometimes but it was ok haha!

So then Sunday came around. Yesterday. and I despise going to this meeting in the morning. We bring all these people up and they just trash everything that we bring up. Telling us that these people have been taught before or that they can't change. I hate it. I even rebuked them when Elder Kertamus was here one time but they went right back to their ways.. So I was kinda like whatever and walked out of it and one the members Brother Kuhlmann came up to me and told me that he feels the same way and so does Brother Weirich and he wants to get released so bad. But we just ranted for like a half hour before church. It was nice. I love that guy soooo much. But it was so frustrating. I think he is going to take us tomorrow to go do some service in Mason which is like 45 minutes away so we will have more of a chance to talk and see how we are going to change that. But anyway...

So then to make the day better! We have a member who is a little older and so I went over there to talk to him. Now this being Fast Sunday everyone gets to bear their testimony, so in March he started off about how he went to HEB (like Walmart) and saw them having a Shrimp boil and said that they have been "Destroying the creations of God for years!" Not knowing that the one who is in charge of it all, 19 year old Z C is the one working the stand. So just as he finished Z walks in and I looked at his mom and we both just about died laughing. I had to call him "Shrimpy" for about a week... hahaha ANYWAY so back to what happened. So I went up to him and "Said how are you doing Brother!" He said "Are you a teacher?" I said a little stunned "Well Yes, I suppose I am." He then asked me who got the 10 commandments. I answered well Moses of course! He then said "Well where did he get them??" I said "On the mountain." He said "No.. Where did he get them??" I said... "Well I guess I don't know exactly where like on the map..? I could find that out if you want though I guess?" So he said. "No. It was Mount Sinai." I said "Well yeah I know that and..." Then he cut me off and said that if I want to be a teacher I should know what I am teaching first. I was just like... What the...?? So I let it go.. Or.. So I thought. He gets up and gives a giant testimonies about how he was talking to a "teacher" who thought he could teach and how he didn't even know where the 10 commandments were given.. For like 5 minutes he basically roasted me from the pulpit. It was basically awful.. I could only laugh.. but yeah. That was a bit rough.

 So all in all. I am happier today then I have been in a while! I don't know if it was just such a bad week that it can't get worse, or if I overall and just happier. Either way I feel better!

Regardless of all the crap that happens, I do know this is true. There are moments when I do feel so inadequate I wish I were home, but I suppose that that is the moments that I learn that the Atonement is the most real in my life. This is God's truth. I know it so very well.. I am truely starting to experience the Atonement. I love my Jesus.
God Bless.
Love y'all and can't wait to talk to you!
Elder Paul Robert Funk
Remember Who you are and what He stands for!!

No comments:

Post a Comment